We’ve all been in situations where we needed on-the-spot stress relief. Stress is unavoidable in everyday life but you can reduce stress as soon as it strikes. Stress is a significant aspect of corporate wellness. All the workplace wellness programs offer a stress management program; but none of them offer tips to de-stress yourself right away.
We all don’t have time for pedicures, massages, therapy sessions and long soaks in the bath. There are a lot of other things that you can do to calm down.
Here are a few things you can do to de-stress instantly:
- Grin and hold it: Smiling, even when you don’t feel happy, can instantly lift your mood. Instead of frowning or tensing up your forehead in reaction to a stressor, grin and feel it! Try it now!
- Call a friend: Sometimes, you just need to call a friend and vent. Just getting off whatever is troubling you will help you calm down and keep things in perspective.
- Aromatherapy: Certain scents can help you calm down, rejuvenate and revitalise. Keep your favorite scented products around and take a few whiffs when you’re stressed out and notice the instant calm you feel.
- Visualize: Close your eyes and imagine the world’s most perfect, serene place. It can be rolling hills or even a familiar childhood place. You’ll notice how safe and relaxed you feel by picturing this place. Whenever you need a short escape, remember you can always return there in your mind.
- Music: Listen to your favorite music, the one that you find most relaxing. Tune into soothing music and tune out the world around you.
- Close your eyes: The simple act of closing your eyes and breathing deeply can do wonders during a stressful day. You can do this a number of times throughout the day to help your body and mind relax.
- Take a walk: Exercise, even when done leisurely, is a wonderful way to alleviate stress and boost endorphins, the feel good chemical in the brain. Go outside and walk for a few minutes, you’ll be astonished at how much better you’ll feel.
So, the next time you feel like you need an instant stress buster – try the above!
With Truworth Wellness’s Employee Assistance Program, you can reach out to a qualified psychologist through chat or call if you’re feeling overburdened with workplace or personal life stress.