Bugs at Workplace: How to Dodge the Unfavorable Rendezvous
Have you ever thought about your daily germ encounter?
Do you experience recurring ailments like a cold, cough to bog you down?
Are you experiencing the growing menace of absenteeism and presentism?
Have you considered the productivity loss due to all this?
Questions might be many; solutions are a few. Each of us encounters a minefield of germs every day without realizing it. The human body contains about 39 trillion bacterial cells, outnumbering human cells drastically, and rendering the opinion that our body is a colony of other microorganisms.
There has been a surge in absenteeism and presentism across various industries due to diverse factors, consequently resulting in productivity loss. Employers have started incorporating corporate wellness programs in their company’s policies with an added zest.
Monsoon brings with itself a spate of rain and a wave of diseases. With a few simple measures, workplaces can dodge the complexities encompassing them.
Enumerated below is a list of diseases and the simple measures to avoid them-
- Symptoms: High Fever, Headache, Muscle Pain, Vomiting, Skin Rash, etc.
- Prevention: Insect repellents plants like Citronella can be planted at workplaces or homes. Covering the entire body might be useful too.
- Symptoms: Fever, Dizziness, Chills, Headache, Body Pain, Weakness, etc.
- Prevention: Wash your hands when required, cover your mouth while coughing or sneezing, bandage your cuts, avoid contact with other people’s used products like napkins, don’t pick at wounds, etc.
Stomach infections/Viral gastroenteritis
- Symptoms: Diarrhea, Stomach Cramps, Nausea, Vomiting, Muscle Aches, Headache, Low-Grade Fever.
- Prevention: Drink fluids throughout the day, consume solids and liquids high in potassium like banana, eat regularly in small quantities, etc.
- Symptoms: Runny Nose, Sore Throat, Cough, Congestion, Body Aches, Headache, Sneezing, Fever, etc.
- Prevention: Avoid contact with people suffering from an infection, make your space germ-free with disinfectants, use hand sanitizer, eat healthy, sleep well, exercise, etc.
- Symptoms: Skin changes, Redness, Itching, Peeling Skin, etc.
- Prevention: Keep your skin dry and clean, change your innerwear’s daily, wash your socks and sneakers regularly, etc.
According to a study, an office lavatory has 49 germs per square inch, desktops and phone outnumbering the figure multiple times with 21,000 germs per square inch and 25,000 germs per square inch, respectively. Desks, phones, computer keyboards, and mouse are leading germ transmission points as people come in their contact frequently. According to a report by WebMD, enumerated below is a list of places categorically high with germs.
- Faucet handles
- Microwave door handles
- Refrigerator door handles
- Vending machine buttons
How the infection is transmitted?
- Coughing and sneezing releases germs in the air, which are then inhaled by others. The microbes can remain up to three days on the surface.
- Our hands are responsible for 80% of the transfer of pathogens by touching contaminated objects and not cleaning up, as required.
- Transmission can occur through skin contact, by coming in touch with someone’s overalls, through direct touch, or by coming in contact with their body fluids, in some form.
How can workplaces curb the transmission effectively?
- Clean your keyboard regularly: Keyboards are high transmission points, and most cleaning companies tend not to mess with gadgets while cleaning. Use an alcohol-based disinfectant periodically to get rid of the germs.
- Watch your face: we happen to touch are face regularly, transporting all the germs acquired to our respiratory and digestive tracts. Cleaning up hands, frequently, is required as they are the principal transmission points.
- Disinfect the utensils: every workplace has coffee/tea vending machines, cups served to employees throughout the day. Proper hygiene should be maintained while consuming anything to dodge infections.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Keep in mind the hygiene of your colleagues and take proper measures if needed.
- Get your office space cleaned up properly every day, with periodic disinfectant cleaning.
Following some simple steps can go a long way in maintaining good workplace hygiene and curb the transfer of diseases saving the companies all those extra hours and money loss.
Truworth Wellness is committed to implementing a healthy and safe workplace for corporate companies, to let everyone shine with their full potential.