Looking After Psychological Well-being during the COVID-19 Outbreak
During these unprecedented times of COVID-19 outbreak, the emotional well-being of people has hampered a lot. The feeling of anxiety, fear and many other psychological health concerns owing to stress, have become common amongst the majority of the population across the globe.
You must know these 3 steps to manage your psychological health & well-being amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Assess your Stress Levels
To understand the level of stress you must first try to understand the following symptomatic reactions of your physical, emotional, mental & behavioral well-being in these difficult times.
You may experience the following symptoms physically during stress
- Shortness of Breath
- High pulse rate
- High Blood Pressure
Your emotions may consist of following reactions at the time of stress:
- Anxiety & Fear
- Socially Isolated
Are you observing the following symptoms as a part of your mental well-being? if yes, your stress levels may be high
- Lost concentration
- Weak Memory
- Negative Thoughts
Your colleagues or family members can observe certain behavior changes when your stress levels increase such as:
- Eating too much or too less
- Excessive consumption of alcohol or drugs
- Sleeping more or Not able to fall asleep
- Ir-responsive Behavior
- Not Valuing Social Relations
Self-Care Tips to Improve your Psychological Well-being
To manage the condition of stress, you must first have to minimize the above-mentioned symptoms by practising the following self-care tips:
Stay Connected with your Care Takers
- Never hesitate to call or text your closed well-wishers
- Show your care to your loved ones by communicating them through various channels.
- Talk to your family and friends about some funny things related to the pandemic and also listen to theirs as well. This will help to relieve a lot of stress.
Adopt Healthy Lifestyle Habits
- Eat healthy food and drink plenty of water to raise your immunity.
- Take sufficient rest
- Do some physical activity for at least 30 minutes to distress yourself.
- Make a disciplined daily schedule balancing work-life.
React Mindfully in the Adverse Circumstances
- Accept the fact that everything is not under your control.
- Relax physically & mentally by practising yoga & meditation or just do a deep breathing exercise for 10 minutes daily.
- Give a certain direction to your frustrations you might be facing so it helps to enhance your skills.
- Indulge yourself with some amusing activities such as reading novel or books, indoor games with your family, cooking healthy food, singing, dancing and more.
- Spend some time in introspection at the end of the day on a daily basis. You can try maintaining a diary that will consist of notes of the entire day.
Limit the Use of Media
Excessive use of media about every pandemic update will make you anxious and fearful. You can end up being a victim of stress disorder owing to scrolling down your social media window to stay updated about the crisis.
So it is advised to limit the use of media for the COVID-19 updates to not more than twice a day. Avoid viewing media updates about the pandemic just before your bedtime. Additionally, never forward panic-creating updates about the pandemic to your friends or relatives so they feel mentally well.
If you are corporate and worried about the mental well-being of your employees owing to the COVID outbreak or any other reason, choose our enhanced employee assistance program that will take care of complete mental well-being of your workforce to make them stay productive and stress-free.