Want to burn 10 pounds in 10 days? How about shedding 4 inches in a week from your waistline? We’ve all heard and noticed these headlines before and we just can’t deny the fact that “they do have a certain appeal.”
According to a recent research, by the end of the year 2030, 47% of adults are expected to be obese. Hence, it’s quite clear that obesity is a growing epidemic.
When we talk about obesity, there is no quick fix!! If you’re an employer, you’ve got that opportunity to build a culture of wellness and health as well as further offer necessary support and motivation to all those employees who wish for a lifestyle change.
In the current fast-paced society, diet pills, fad diets, or crash diets are some of the ways that people tend to follow for losing weight very quickly. Unfortunately, in the beginning, you might feel that these tactics are working but in almost 65 percent of the cases people who effectively complete a fad diet will wind up gaining all the pounds back.
The key to a successful weight loss regime is a healthy lifestyle that you can easily follow day-after-day. Since we spend a lot of our time at work, presenting an environment that promotes and supports employee’s efforts towards losing weight is an essential component to their success.
How You Can Help Your Employees
You can actually create a significant difference in the health as well as lives of your employees. You can do it by building a support system along with wellness programs that instigate healthy changes in your workforce.
Below are the options that you can implement to build a healthier workplace:
- Overhaul vending machines to include only healthy snacks. Replace chips and cookies with fresh fruit, veggies, nuts, and low-fat yogurt.
- Offer water bottles and water coolers in place of energy drinks and sugary sodas.
- Offer employees with paid time off and organize employee wellness activities that are good for health such as exercise class, yoga class etc.
- Encourage “walking meetings.” It’s a simple way to incorporate activity during busy office schedule.
- Start a bike-to-work program.
- Invite health coaches’ onsite for employees, set personal goals and be held accountable.
How To Provide Encouragement And Motivation
Several employers incentivize in order to encourage employees to participate in wellness programs as well as incorporate healthier lifestyle habits. According to various researches, it has been observed that employees don’t always favor cash when it is related to incentives. Companies must discover some non-traditional ways to cheer participation in their wellness programs. Few ideas include:
- Conducting healthy cooking classes
- Conceptualizing an onsite farmers market
- Offering corporate-identified merchandise, like apparel and tote bags
- Offering paid gym memberships
- Reducing deductibles and co-pays
With the support of co-workers, peers, and employers, employees are expected to be more victorious in losing weight as well as keeping it off. Temptations are and will always be there, but sustaining a healthy lifestyle by making healthy choices is simply a way to learn to resist.
After all, “The greatest wealth is health.” And healthy employees are more productive at work.